Mozart balls, also known as Mozartkugeln, are a beloved sweet treat from Austria that have been enjoyed for over a century. These chocolatey delights are made with a delicious combination of marzipan and nougat, with a creamy center that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. In this article, we’ll take a look at the history of Mozart balls, the ingredients you’ll need to make them, and step-by-step instructions for creating this classic Austrian delicacy.
- 250g of marzipan
- 200g of nougat
- 100g of unsalted butter
- 200g of dark chocolate
- 100g of milk chocolate
- 200ml of whipping cream
- 50g of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Begin by mixing the marzipan, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until it forms a smooth paste.
- In a separate bowl, mix the nougat and unsalted butter together until smooth.
- Combine the marzipan paste and the nougat mixture together until well blended.
- Form small balls from the mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the balls are chilling, prepare the chocolate coating by melting the dark and milk chocolate together in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Add the whipping cream and salt to the melted chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Remove the marzipan-nougat balls from the refrigerator and dip them into the chocolate mixture using a fork, making sure they are completely coated.
- Place the coated balls on a tray lined with parchment paper and let them cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Variations: If you want to add some variety to your Mozart balls, you can try different coatings such as white chocolate or cocoa powder. You can also experiment with adding different flavors to the marzipan-nougat filling, such as rum or orange zest.
Mozart balls are a classic sweet treat from Austria that have been enjoyed for generations. By following this simple recipe, you can easily create this delicious and creamy delicacy in the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just for a sweet treat, Mozart balls are sure to delight your taste buds.