Christmas Mulled Wine, also known as Gluhwein, is a traditional holiday drink that is popular in many European countries. It’s a warm and spicy wine that is infused with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, as well as citrus fruits and sugar. The result is a delicious and festive drink that is perfect for sipping on a cold winter evening.
What You’ll Need
To make Christmas Mulled Wine, you’ll need:
- 1 bottle of red wine (750 ml)
- 1/2 cup of brandy or rum
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4-6 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
How to Make Christmas Mulled Wine
- Begin by pouring the red wine into a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the brandy or rum and sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the orange and lemon into thin slices, and add them to the pot along with the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ground nutmeg.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture is simmering, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to meld together and infuse the wine with the spices.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the solids.
- Serve the Christmas Mulled Wine warm in mugs or glasses, garnished with a cinnamon stick or a slice of orange or lemon.
Tips and Tricks
- You can adjust the sweetness of the Christmas Mulled Wine to your liking by adding more or less sugar.
- Make sure to use a good-quality red wine for the best flavor.
- If you prefer a non-alcoholic version of Christmas Mulled Wine, you can substitute the red wine and brandy or rum with grape juice and apple cider, respectively.
Christmas Mulled Wine is a delicious and festive holiday drink that is perfect for warming up on a cold winter evening. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your taste preferences. So next time you’re looking for a cozy drink to enjoy during the holidays, give this recipe a try!